Friday 3 February 2012

Winter's Cold Gloves

Today was one of the coldest days I have ever experienced. The city never looks anything other than stunning, but the cold today reached under any amount of clothes and started squeezing the life and feelings out of the body. It was brutally cold. The temperature showed as being -11 degrees celsius but I felt sure it was still colder, and certainly by the time I got home at 16.30. There is something exquisite about weather so harsh that it almost makes you feel wholly uncomfortable and renders you unable to do any of the normal outside experiences. I can kinda see the beauty in such an extreme state. There was no real way to combat it. Every part of the body that could be was covered and still it found a way underneath and inside to where the body would commence to feel like it was gradually shutting down, until escapism into the warmth was found.

I had had the company of two beautiful young English women, one the most important person I had ever met and one a wonderful young lady I had met only yesterday, and I felt comfortable and warm in their joint presence. Feeling truly at ease with people is not something I genuinely believe comes naturally or easily, not too often at least, though I always try when I first acquaint folk.

We share this fragile and unimaginably pretty earth, we cause much harm to it, we construct such ugliness and also some true wonder on its surface. We share the earth, the least we can do is ponder the art of sharing and imagine ourselves to be kinder and better at coexisting until it becomes reality. It isn't just the weather, there is so much coldness, I can see it in the eyes, the empty eyes of some. Soulless vacuums were strutting up and down the streets everywhere. Dollar signs in the eyes, any method of achieving their goals meant a dirtier world, and it all fell around the feet of everyone. There was only ugliness in the cold paws of thieves and their movements, I could see so much beauty in the cold gloves of winter. This place, the very air here, however tight the cold made it, had utter magic and it never failed to amaze me how in love with it I could be. It had just got even better, even prettier than I had ever known it. God bless this colossal city of my heart, in my heart, blossoming, in the middle of winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment