Monday 27 February 2012

Architects

We are the architects of our disasters, of our own deaths. We build ourselves colossal walls and feel the force when they fall upon us. We lay the foundations of many things. Relationships. Love. Work. Buildings. We make mistakes. We succumb to human weakness. We rue our errors and watch what we have worked for crumble down all around. We break hearts and seem to never learn, for we commit the same crimes over and again.

Think of the dictators who could poison entire nations and beyond. To walk as disciples. For their cause. Their endlessly blind and brutal causes. Showing death to the masses. Wiping out a plague, a non existent plague. Think of those who cheat and hurt those beside them who have shown trust and love. Like life is just a game of Jenga. Think of how you want to protect the people and things you hold dear. Did you ever needlessly hurt them? Did you remove one block too many? Did you tap at the building's base, or even take a hammer to it and expect it to never fall? Think of the real architects in the technical sense. They create designs of buildings. The places we work in, the places we live in, the ones we find grotesque or stunning as we walk past or below them in the streets. The architects who created many of Budapest's buildings clearly injected much love and creativity and passion into these designs and they give such a life and grace to the city. Unlike anywhere I have seen. Think of those who want to undo the beautiful construction of other's hands. Life is architecture. Architecture is in everything.

I think of it all. It is never enough. One blog, a million thoughts and emotions, and scarcely a tenth even come to mind when I sit here and type. It is so vast. Any topic could be spoken about for years, so to be relevant and precise and valuable with my words seems unlikely. I can only attempt, and some days I come closer to the truth than others, I expect. I feel like an architect working on a castle, with intricate design and some kind of majesty akin to the Houses of Parliament in this city, Budapest, my home. I never want to stop building. I want to move from one achievement to the next and never take long to look upon them , for to attempt to improve and make something of increasing beauty each time. I want to know the best things are built with love, patience, thought, and passion. With care, warmth and kindness. I want to allow the world to influence every detail, as I absorb its wonder, soak up its offerings.

We can build something that will last. It could be spectacular, in a good or bad light. We can make a difference. You have the chance to build the greatest thing on earth. Maybe you know, maybe you don't, maybe you will, maybe you will not. The seed is the hope, you must nurture it and allow it to breath, to let it grow and blossom and flower. Today I didn't feel like I had the seed even. I sit here tired and weary from a long day. I didn't believe I could grow anything. I couldn't see the seed. I didn't believe I could build a sentence, let alone a few paragraphs. I hope my architecture was reasonable. Something to admire. If only a little. If only a little.


No comments:

Post a Comment