Saturday 11 February 2012

Everything Is Moving

I was stood on the Chain bridge (Lanchid) in Budapest, overseeing what can only be discribed as an astonishing scene of large blocks and sheets of ice reasonably swiftly drifting down the Danube. It was like another dream. Just when I considered I may have seen everything that this city had to offer along comes another slice of severe magic. I had simply never seen anything like it. It was beautiful. Absolutely beautiful. The sky was calm yet dramatic. Grey with shards of light seeping in all over the place. It wasn't dark, it wasn't light, it was hopeful. I was crossing the bridge with a fellow possessor of magic and I was entranced, by the whole world around me, by everything, by this city that owns me and sets me free. I suddenly thought to myself 'everything is moving!' The river was more alive than I could have imagined seeing it, the ice was making it easier and better to see how the river shifted than at any other time. The river, the ice, the birds, circling, swooping, playing in the sky, the clouds making the sky seem like it was rolling past, the cars, the trams, the people, the bodies, the endless evolution of hearts turning into something else, growing, developing, making us all.

In the day, and then later in the dark this city was alive, breathing, I could taste its breath on my neck, on my face, on my whole freezing body. The views were simply extraordinary, at every step along the river on either side. I was intoxicated. To know this city means to experience all the seasons, to truly soak it up and to watch it move all around. Everything is moving, everything is perfect, as perfect as our eyes will allow us to deem it. Everything is ours, forever and ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment