Friday 2 March 2012

Monologue

There were bodies everywhere. All shapes and sizes. It was horrific really. Young, old, different shades of skin, different languages in the air, all kinds of eyes on faces, people with beer cans and cigarettes on the go. The whole world was here. The whole world was outside. The water was warm outside, the water was even warmer inside, cold in one small bath. All kinds of water splashing the sides of each pool. The people. The eyes. Moving in all kinds of directions. All over other people. Sordid. Dirty. Unclean. Minds. I was watching too, thinking these thoughts. My thoughts. Similar to others, but from  my own space. I was splashing, letting one of the streams of water coming from the wall above the pool hit the back of my head, tossing my hair all over the place, pushing it onto my face, curling long groups of strands onto my face, in my eyes. I was in a daze. For once, I was almost switching off. It was a bizarre feeling. I had been to school and had the usual series of adventure, entertainment and enjoyment in only three lessons and less than four hours at school. The school is special, drifting in and out of my thoughts permanently. I cannot avoid how deeply significant it is in my life. Kids faces, words, laughter, parts of lessons, all appear before me. Flashbacks, fond memories and inspiration for my every moment of daily life. Breathe. Breathe. Press on. Make the statement. Collapse at the end. Always at the end, never mid-song. The songs that make up life, the words, the ideas for lyrics and poems and stories and an endless stream of ideas that may just change the world. Who knows. Something has to come right. At some point. For the man who knows not what works. Follow the heart. Through black. Through tragedy. Through blinding light. I'm the man you think not. I can hear voices. In the walls. A true friend never submerges. Other countries. Moving ever forwards. The delicious food. The message from back home. The lights. The old fashioned metro. The speeding towards death. The beautiful ride.
(the sound of a man panting...)

No comments:

Post a Comment